Farewell To The Muse
by George Gordon, Lord Byron
- Thou Power! who hast ruled me through Infancys days,
- Young offspring of Fancy, tis time we should part;
- Then rise on the gale this the last of my lays,
- The coldest effusion which springs from my heart.
- This bosom, responsive to rapture no more,
- Shall hush thy wild notes, nor implore thee to sing;
- The feelings of childhood, which taught thee to soar,
- Are wafted far distant on Apathys wing.
- Though simple the themes of my rude flowing Lyre,
- Yet even these themes are departed for ever;
- No more beam the eyes which my dream could inspire,
- My visions are flown, to return,alas, never!
- When draind is the nectar which gladdens the bowl,
- How vain is the effort delight to prolong!
- When cold is the beauty which dwelt in my soul,
- What magic of Fancy can lengthen my song?
- Can the lips sing of Love in the desert alone,
- Of kisses and smiles which they now must resign?
- Or dwell with delight on the hours that are flown?
- Ah, no! for those hours can no longer be mine.
- Can they speak of the friends that I lived but to love?
- Ah, surely Affection ennobles the strain!
- But how can my numbers in sympathy move,
- When I scarcely can hope to behold them again?
- Can I sing of the deeds which my Fathers have done,
- And raise my loud harp to the fame of my Sires?
- For glories like theirs, oh, how faint is my tone!
- For Heroes exploits how unequal my fires!
- Untouchd, then, my Lyre shall reply to the blast
- Tis hushd; and my feeble endeavors are oer;
- And those who have heard it will pardon the past,
- When they know that its murmurs shall vibrate no more.
- And soon shall its wild erring notes be forgot,
- Since early affection and love is oercast:
- Oh! blest had my Fate been, and happy my lot,
- Had the first strain of love been the dearest, the last.
- Farewell, my young Muse! since we now can neer meet;
- If our songs have been languid, they surely are few:
- Let us hope that the present at least will be sweet
- The presentwhich seals our eternal Adieu.